We have already discussed ‘Shape tools in Illustrator‘. In this tutorial we will learn, ‘How to make a Semicircle in Illustrator’ as we don’t have any direct tool to create semicircle in Illustrator.
Ellipse tool can be used to create either an oval or a circle. An oval has two radius and a circle has only one radius. So, when we say Semi-circle, we mean a half circle.
There are various ways to make a Semicircle in Illustrator. I will show two of the easy methods one by one.
Method – 1: Using Ellipse & Pen Tool
In one of our previous blog, we have explained, ‘How to use Pen tool in illustrator‘.
- First we have to create a Circle using Ellipse tool and hold Shift key while drawing the circle.
- Select Pen tool while the object is still selected. Click on the right anchor point of the circle.
After removing the anchor using Pen tool, the circle will change to the shape shown below.
- Now, hold ALT key to change pen tool to Convert point tool and then start moving the handles on the right side of the bottom anchor point and hold SHIFT key too, to a 90 degree towards the center of the shape.
- Repeat the above step for the top achor point’s right handle.
Method – 2: Using Ellipse & Direct Selection tool
Again, create a circle using Ellipse tool.
- Then select Direct Selection Tool and click on the right most anchor point to select it.
- Now press DELETE key on the keyboard.
In the above image, we can notice that deleting the anchor point also removed the stroke associated with it. Deleting the anchor point, changed the closed shaped into an open shape.
We have to join the last two anchor points again, using shortcut CTRL + J