- Emotional flooding is when we become overwhelmed with emotion to the point that our thinking brain goes offline temporarily.
- We lose the ability to think, hear or communicate clearly.
- It can feel like we have gone into our stress response - flight, fight, freeze or fawn.
- Our nervous system goes into overdrive.
- We might have a physiological response which includes increased heart rate, tight chest, sweaty palms and shallow breathing.
If you're in the middle of an argument take a pause until you're feeling calm.
Notice what's happening and do something to help you feel calm. Example: take a walk, have a shower or play with your pet.
Take long deep breaths trying to fill and empty your lungs for 60 seconds.
Check if you have any unhelpful thoughts that are hijacking your internal dialogue and redirect them.
Once you're feeling calm reflect on any triggers if possible and talk to your partner about them.
Now, Go Quiet and Start Building Yourself.