How to finish more work
in 2 hours
than 95% of people do
in 2 weeks.
1. Create a focus playlist
Try these soundtracks:
- Ad Astra
- The Batman
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Blade Runner 2049
- The Dark Knight Trilogy
Your brain will get into deep work 2x faster.
2. Prime Yourself
Prepare your mind for the activity.
- 8 hours of sleep primes you to focus.
- 30 minutes of reading primes you to write.
- 10 minutes of planning primes you to organize.
Short-term preparation leads to long-term success.
3. Schedule deep work sessions for 1.5 to 2 hours
- It takes 20-30 minutes to get into flow state.
- It takes around 1.5-2 hours before focus declines.
Take a break too early, you wouldn't get into flow.
But if you don't take a break, you'll work inefficiently.
4. Separate tasks based on their type.
Batch Analytical tasks together:
Batch Creative tasks together:
Your brain wastes energy to adjust when you switch from one task to another.
5. Remove Distractions
Too much noise?
- Use noise-cancelling earbuds.
- Use a website or app blocker.
Too much going on at home?
- Go to a coffee shop.
It's impossible to get distracted when it's not an option.
6. Set 1 goal for each work block
Break it into 3 actionable tasks.
Now focus on 1 task at a time.
When you complete it, move to the next.
Knowing what you need to do prevents you from getting distracted with 'busy work'.
After your work sessions, look at what you can improve.
Do you need to:
- Change the length of time?
- Do certain tasks before others?
- Work at a different part of the day?
Optimize for next session.
8. Reward Yourself
Do something fun after your work session.
Watch Netflix, go to Twitter or play a video game.
This makes your brain associate positive feelings with work.
Next time you go to work, it'll be 10x easier.